Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Reading at ICAB

On August 22 & 23, I joined Deborah and Jhett, our social worker, to read case studies of prospective adoptive families at ICAB (Intercountry Adoption Board). This was the first time that I helped with the reading. Before this, Dad would have been reading with them.

Jhett and I got to ICAB early Wednesday afternoon. She set us up at a table and brought over the roster of families. She showed me what we needed to look for, and then we started looking for families that fit our child.

Deborah showed up after a while, and soon each of us were reading a case study. And then came the difficult part; how to choose between good families? Dad would come home from reading case studies and agonize over the choices in front of him. Now I understood. After taking the personality of the child and the various families into account, we were still faced with difficult choices. How do you choose between good families? As I read the case studies I could hear the cry of their heart for a child. If only we could give them all a child! Instead, we have one. Argh! So you go with your gut, and trust that God is guiding your hand to the right family for your child. So we made our choice. And now we wait to see if they choose our child in return.

Sara

No comments: